Sunday, February 10, 2013

Tasting: Coltsfoot Winery Blueberry Wine

Name: Coltsfoot Winery Blueberry Wine
Variety: Blueberry Wine
Region: Virginia
Country: USA
Year: None listed
Price: $14.99

Winery review: Plump, juicy blueberries picked at their peak; you'll taste your favorite summertime memories with every sip. Our Blueberry Wine is fruity and peppery with a 'hint' of clove that is long on blueberry flavor. The low acidity makes for a wonderful warm, sweet experience.

My review: I was unsure whether or not I was supposed to chill a fruit wine so I first tried this wine slightly chilled. It smelled like a bag of brown sugar but was VERY alcoholic smelling. Tasting it alongside tortellini, I detected blueberry, cranberry, apple and a very subtle citrus. I left what was left of this bottle(about half) out on the counter for 36 hours (with a rubber stopper) and then went back to it. Served at room temperature without any food, I found it to be much more pleasant/drinkable and had an almost pure blueberry flavor.

Food: I had this one two separate occasions as I purchased the bottle; once without food and then with chicken prosciutto tortellini.

1 comment: