Sunday, April 28, 2013

Wine Festival: Blacksburg Fork & Cork


It was a dreary day outside on the morning of Blacksburg Fork and Cork 2013 but, alas, there was wine to be tasted! My friend, Brianna, and I packed an umbrella and headed out to the First and Main shopping center for the festival and checked in to get our event wine glasses. I was so glad that I had purchased our tasting tickets ahead of time at Kroger because the event was sold out! We headed down to the very end to start off with the Trump Winery tasting because I had heard good things about their wines- they were actually featured at a wine/food pairing dinner at Preston’s the night before Fork & Cork. – and got super annoyed by the long line that we found ourselves in. Luckily for us, two girls behind us had a bottle of wine that they had purchased and share some with us during the long wait. When we finally reached the tasting table, we sampled the following five wines:
Brianna and I (I am on the right) right as we arrived- we were thirsty!
Blanc de Blanc $25
Brut Sparkling wine made from 100% Chardonnay, using the traditional French method Champenoise. Nose of green apple, brioche and slight pear. On the mouth there is a crisp
The pourer at Trump Winery was very knowledgeable!
acidity with citrus notes. Aged 22 months on the lees. Pair with mild cheeses, sushi or serve as an aperitif.
Chardonnay 2012 $17
90% in stainless steel and 10% in French oak barrels. Vibrant grapefruit, pear and citrus aromas that are lush and crispy on the palate, finishing with a subtle creaminess. Refreshing, crisp and clean, this wine is easy to drink by itself and stands up well to food. Pair with gazpacho, caprese salad and quiche.
Rose 2011 $10 (Festival Special)
Dry rose blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Nose of strawberry
Trump Winery Rose
and flowers. Raspberry and grapefruit on the palate. Excellent balance between acidity and volume. Pair with anything off the grill, pizza, charcuterie, and cheese.

My thoughts: This was the wine that I had on its own as well as with food. On the nose it was mildly fruity but is much drier than I would have expected. It was well-balanced and light- it did not leave me feeling sluggish.It was sort of like tannic, watered down fruit juice.
Simply Red 2008 $17
48% Merlot, 26% Cabernet Franc, 21% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Petit Verdot. Lightly toasted aromas of black currant, blueberries and cherries. Smooth, medium bodied with flavors of black cherry and cocoa with a long finish. Pair with chicken, pork tenderloin, and soft cheeses.
CRU $28
100% Chardonnay juice fortified with brandy, and then aged in bourbon barrels. Try it on the rocks or mixed for a sweet treat with a kick. 14% rs.

My thoughts: This port was insanely sweet- I don't think I could have managed more than the half sip that I took. It was like drinking pure corn syrup. 

As Fork & Cork was my first wine festival, I was surprised how hurried the tastings were; I only had time to jot down notes for a few wines all day because of the volume they were pouring.

Me, ready to wait in line now that we had provisions of wine!
Next up was Hill Top Berry Farm & Winery. I was beyond excited because I am a huge fan of mead after first trying it at the Maryland Renaissance Festival over the summer and Hill Top has 12 different styles of mead in addition to their other wines! Although Hill Top has a rather large selection of wines/meads, I only sampled five of them:

Cranberry Table Wine $18.95
Hold onto your taste buds! This tart wine is perfect paired with turkey during the holidays. Try it in a cosmopolitan, spritzer or in cranberry lemonade.

My thoughts: Keep this one away from the kids! If I did not know it was wine, I would have mistaken this for cranberry juice cocktail. It made my mouth pucker and was very authentic in its taste. I like the winery’s suggestion to have it with turkey during the holidays! I would definitely also try making a spritzer from it.

Virginia Peach Wine $16.95
This “front porch” wine is like biting into a ripe, juicy peach, without the pit and the fuzz. This delicate sipping wine also pairs well with seafood.

Lavender Metheglin $16.95
Derived from the Welsh word Meddyglyn, meaning healing drink, metheglin is spiced mead. Ours is spiced with lavender flowers and is both fragrant and delicious.  

My thoughts: I really was not sure what to think of this mead. The lavender metheglin was like nothing I have ever tried before. It was like mulled wine/cider but with a definitive hit of lavender and maybe even cinnamon. I liked it a lot but cannot for the life of me think of what I would pair this drink with food-wise as I am afraid it would overpower any culinary flavors.
Banners for some of the wineries that were represented at Fork & Cork 2013
Dragon’s Blood $16.95
This rich, bright red pomegranate melomel pairs with grilled or smoked foods, red meats and even chocolate. It is both slightly sweet and slightly tart and very delicious.

My thoughts: The Dragon’s Blood mead smelled exactly like a bonfire, complete with the burning wood and smoke. I found it to be just sweet enough but with the earthy, smoke flavor that I expected based on the nose.
Hunter’s Moon $21.95
Our Spiced Pumpkin Mead is just the trick to treat your taste buds! Slightly sweet with pumpkin pie spieces, this is a great holiday wine and delicious all the time!

My thoughts: The Hunter’s Moon mead was one of the wines that I could not stop thinking about after I tasted! It was phenomenal. Very, very rich and thick, it smelled and tasted just like pumpkin pie (very similar to the famous Southern Tier Pumking beer), with a bit more clove. A bit thick for the summer months, come fall there will definitely be a few bottles of this in my wine cellar.
These women were irish-style cloggers- it was fun to see local talent that had nothing to do with food/wine in addition to all the wine-related activities.


After leaving the Hill Top booth, Brianna and I went off in search of some food but got distracted and ended up waiting in line at Fincastle  Winery where we waited an absurdly long time due to bunches of people cutting in front of us multiple times (this seemed to become more of a problem as people got increasingly drunk). Looking at the tasting notes, there are no prices on the Fincastle wines, but if I recall correctly from the sign in front of their booth, the whites were all $12 and the reds were $14. At Fincastle, I tasted six wines as well as their sangria and I must say that of all the wineries, I was the least satisfied, not really liking any of their wines. From Fincastle:

Chardonnay
Dry white aged 6 months in American oak, buttery toast and caramel up front
Cabernet Sauvignon
Full bodied dry red aged 2 years in American oak, with cherry and black currant notes.
Cabernet Franc
Dry red aged 24 monthsin oak. Less tannic than sauvignon with hints of anise, blackberry and black cherry.
My thoughts: Smelling this wine, I got jamminess but that was not reflected in the taste; this wine dried my palate a lot as it was very spicy with notes of Aleppo pepper.
Rose
Refreshing, off-dry to semi-sweet blend of Chambourcin with an excellent balance of acidity and tangerine fruit flavors. 3% residual sugar.
Hybrid Vigor
Semi-sweet white with a citrus finish blended from French-American hybrids Chardonnel, Vidal Blanc and Traminette. Bold tropical fruit flavors of pineapple and mango. 3% residual sugar.
My thoughts: I could see myself sipping this wine by the pool or at a steeplechase. It has a light floral nose but actually tastes more of stone fruit.
Traminette
Sweet white with intense floral aromas of honeysuckle, violets and roses. 5% residual sugar.
My thoughts: The traminette smelled like a garden blooming in the summertime! It was very sweet, almost like drinking pure honeysuckle nectar.
Sangria
Made with the rose and fresh strawberries. Ask for the recipe.

Corn Crabcake over a bed of arugula paired with Trump Winery's Rose
By the time we finished up at Fincastle, we were absolutely famished and headed over to the Bull & Bones tent to get some pulled pork sandwiches. Unfortunately, they had just run out of the pulled pork and only had hotdogs and hamburgers left. I turned up my nose at these options and opted to purchase a fresh corn crabcake over a bed of arugula from Preston’s- boy, am I glad I did! The crabcake was fantastic and complemented extremely well by the Trump Rose that I paired it with (Brianna and I purchased a bottle of the rose). I found that by pairing the crabcake with the rose, the arugula’s spiciness was brought out and the ‘fishiness’ of the entire dish toned down. I may just be imagining things, but I felt as if the rose tasted a sweeter when paired with the crabcake since the wine was rather dry on its own.  By the time we finished eating our crabcakes, it was getting close to 5:00pm so we decided to head over to the Horton Vineyards tent that we had seen everyone carrying boxes around from.

The line at Horton was so long. And when I say line, I mean mass blob of people all elbowing each other to try to get a tasting. What was taking so long? Well, Horton had brought
Waiting in line at Horton, we were visited by the Tech Trons. Who knew there were two?!
approximately twenty wines with them and was allowing people to taste them all! No wonder the long wait. It was 4:50pm or so when we finally got up to the front- how lucky of us! Because there were so many wines tasted, I will only list some of my favorites:

2012 Viognier $20
Exotic honey and tropical fruit aromas jump from the glass. Full bodied, viscous mouthfeel

Sweet Concord (America’s Sweet Red) $12
Sleepy Hollow Red; Highly aromatic, fruity grapey flavors, sweet crisp finish.  Wine for "Hard Times!"
Sweet Concord Wine from Horton that I purchased
My thoughts: Super jammy on the nose and on the palate. This wine is sweet and different than many wines that I have tried in the past (like Welch’s jelly!) because it is made from a different species of grape vine. I purchased this wine to enjoy in the summertime with a light meal, perhaps fish or a salad.
Freedom (Sweet Tropical Wine) $12
Fruity wine shows aromas of granny smith apples, peaches and mangos. Serve chilled with hot  spicy food.

My thoughts: All I could think of when I tasted this wine was passion fruit. It was super tropical and refreshing. I think it would be awesome with thai food. I did not have time to smell it because we were doing what I am calling “power tasting”, with barely 2 seconds in between wines due to the crowd.

Raspberry Fruit Wine $12
Raspberry with a small blend of Cabernet Franc.

Blanco XOCO (White Chocolate Dessert Wine) $16/ 500mL
Sweet chocolaty white wine made with Rkatsiteli, Vidal Blanc & Chocolate essence. Chocolate covered cherries gone wild!
My thoughts: WOW! This wine was THAT good. It really tasted like a high-quality white chocolate such as Ghiradelli and is so unique (every other chocolate wine I have ever tried has been red or more like gloopy adult chocolate milk). The sugar seemed well balanced and as if it would not give me a stomachache if I wanted to have more than 5oz. I definitely got the cherry flavor although it was mild enough not to overpower the chocolate. I will 100% be purchasing this wine in the future!
***This was my favorite wine of the day because it was DELICIOUS and I loved it.  I did not purchase because any of it because  a)it was fairly expensive for the small bottle and b) as a dessert wine, it is not as versatile as other wines (I was on a limited budget at the festival and could not get everything I wanted to get)
I was so happy to run into my friend, Jessica, towards the end of the festival!

In my opinion, the $20 price tag to get in to Fork & Cork was too steep for what was included (almost everything was paid for a la carte inside) but I am glad that I was able to experience my wine festival and discover Horton Vineyards- my new favorite wines! I cannot get over how awesome all of their selections were-when it came time to purchase I could barely decide (I opted for the Sweet Concord which is actually made out of vitis la brusca). In the future, I would like to see more food/wine pairings- they really were separate with no integration between booths like I was expecting there to be. I was picturing more of a tasting with a sample of food next to the wine sort of thing. If only I had remembered to use my $1 off a bottle of wine coupon from the program!


Note: I was unable to take thorough notes for every wine I tasted because of the speed of the pouring and number of people waiting in line behind me
Me (left) and Brianna right around 5:00pm- much happier than we were waiting in the first line at the beginning of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment